Blackjack or any game, one always needs insurance while playing games. And this particular game offers it well. This game is easy and more likely to be played in casinos as the dealers hold less possibility of winning against players. And an insurance bet only strengthens players’ chances. It helps in keeping players on a safe edge.
What does Insurance Mean in Blackjack?
Blackjack insurance is a wager that can be put up when the dealer’s face-up card is an ace. It is then that blackjack insurance is offered. Insurance is a bet half of your initial bet and pays out 2:1 if the dealer’s second card is a ten or any picture card, making a blackjack. Insurance is offered before a dealer can see his hole cards, the cards that are not visible to players. This is a bet completely separate from the original bet and it ends when the dealer’s second card is revealed.
Conditions for Blackjack Insurance
- For a player to be able to make an insurance bet, the dealer’s face-up card must be an ace.
- You need to put a wager half the initial bet.
- Do not make an insurance bet if you are already at an advantage.
- You need to be confident that the dealer’s next card will be a ten or any picture card, making it a blackjack.
- If you lose an insurance bet, you can still keep playing with the original bet.
- Insurance bet pays in the ratio 2:1.
How does Insurance in Blackjack work?
Insurance is a side bet that the deal has a blackjack. This factor comes into play only when the initial cards are dealt and the dealer’s up-card is an ace. If a player is willing to make an insurance bet, he must put half of his original bet as a wager. If the dealer’s next card is a ten or picture card making a blackjack, you win. You get double the worth of the insurance bet and the game goes on. But if the next card doesn’t make a blackjack, you lose your insurance bet and the game still goes on.
Advantages of Blackjack Insurance
- If you win, you are likely to get double the worth of the insurance bet.
- Insurance is a side bet. Even if you lose, you can still keep on playing with the original bet.
- It is more likely to be used when the dealer is in heat.
- There is a Blackjack insurance bet that can help even out your odds if you have a losing hand.
- When you follow the count of ten and picture cards on the table, you are more likely to be at an advantage.
Disadvantages of Insurance in Blackjack
- Some might see it as profitable, but it only brings you loss in the long run.
- Odds for insurance bets depend on the deck used and the number of ten cards that are already dealt.
- With the use of multiple decks in a single game, it always ends badly for the player.
- With the odds of 2 to 1, you are more likely to lose than to win.
- Losing an insurance bet brings uncertainty to your whole gameplay.
When should one make an Insurance Bet?
- You should make an insurance bet when you already have a blackjack to make the game more profitable for you.
- You should make insurance when you stand at 18, 19, or 20, or you will not be strong against the dealer.
- You should make an insurance bet once you are familiar with the number of ten cards on the table, which is very common for expert players to know.